Can’t Get Cortana on Your Android Phone Outside The States?
Here’s a Quick Hack That Lets You Use Microsoft’s Digital Assistant Cortana Anywhere!
Artificially intelligent digital assistants are all the rage these days! From Apple’s legendary, humorous Siri, to Google’s rather non-personified and efficient assistant “Google Now”, they’re a pretty big deal. Microsoft entered the digital assistant scene with “Cortana” after the acquisition of the Windows Phone smartphone line Lumia from Nokia. And Cortana actually comes across as pretty awesome! Cortana is not only witty, but also pretty good at getting the job done!
Microsoft, eager to leave its mark as far as artificially intelligent assistants go (among other things of course), has decided to not only ship it’s latest operating system Windows 10 with Cortana, but also to go cross-platform! You can now enjoy Cortana on your Android and Apple devices! Great, no!? Except that you need to be present either in the United States or China. If you’re not in these countries, Cortana app won’t show up in your Play Store when you search for it.
But We’ve Got You Covered!
With this awesome, simple hack we’re about to tell you, you can easily enjoy Cortana on your Android smart devices even outside the US and Chinese regions! The only condition is that your Android device meets the minimum version requirement – that is, it should have Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or above running on it.
So, let’s get started!
- Go to this link and download the latest Cortana APK file. APK files are application packages that are basically setup files that facilitate the installation of an application on your android device. The APK file from this source is absolutely safe to download.
- If you downloaded the APK on your Android phone/tablet, you can skip this step. However, if you downloaded the APK from your PC, you need to transfer the APK file on your android device’s storage. You can either copy the APK file to your device’s SD-card or internal storage.
- Now, you need to allow the installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store to be able to install Cortana from the APK file you just downloaded on your Android device. For this go to “Settings” and select the “Security” under ‘permissions’. The placement of the “Security” option in your device’s “Settings” menu may vary accordingly.
- Inside the ‘Security’ settings, find the option “Unknown Sources” and enable it by tapping it. You might see a warning dialog box appear telling you that such sources might make your phone more vulnerable etc. press ‘OK’ and proceed.
- Now that your phone is set up to install apps from sources other than the Play Store, let’s install Cortana! Locate the APK file you downloaded/saved on your Android Device and just click it.
- You’ll see a screen showing you the permissions the Cortana app requires. Scroll down and click “Install”
- This will install the Cortana app for Android
- Now open Cortana, give it your nick and enjoy your very own virtual assistant on your device! You can ask Cortana to schedule tasks for you, tell you a joke or even sing a song!